Good Day

The sunset while I wait for the school shuttle.
You know it was a good day when your roommates (INCLUDING AMY :p) and you break out in song and dance after midnight. Actually, I've been having a lot of GOOD DAYS. The kinds of days where you come back home late and just feel satisfied...plop into bed and breath out...'twas a good day.

The hues were really pretty today...but my point and shoot is aging. :( There always seems to be construction or tall buildings when capturing the cityscape of Hong Kong.
Today I met up with my new friend Calvin to play some ball at the Stanley Ho Sports Centre. I met him a couple weeks ago while I was at SHSC just shooting hoops by myself. Usually I try to play basketball when no one's at the court because I get so intimidated lol. So Calvin happened to finish his track meet early and while he was waiting for the event to conclude he came over to play. Haha, it was really funny because I totally understand the intimidation or awkwardness of approaching first but it always works out! ^^ I was pretty happy to have someone to shoot with. Later on, three other guys came to play kickball but their ball got stuck. After helping them retrieve it, they asked us (shyly :p): "Can we play with you guys?!" One of my very few spontaneous nights haha. We played horse and a couple runs. It was pretty accomplishing. Yay for new friends! And they were all locals! Honestly, meeting locals (haha I make them sound like celebrities or something) and getting to know them has been on my Hong Kong bucket list. And it seemed so hard to achieve and distant ever since I started living in Hong Kong especially in my particular accommodation. Living in a flat really separates me from the rest of the halls that area in the area, however even if I lived in the halls, I hear there's still a bit of segregation. But on the bright side, I've been receiving so many blessings as of late and meeting more locals. I'm trying this new thing where I got out on a limb and really challenge myself to go out solo to activities where I know little to no people and just see how things fold out. And each time has been such a blessing and I've made some pretty awesome friendships.

As for today, Calvin and I met up and played ball for a bit, but since we couldn't reserve the courts, the next reservation arrived about half an hour after we started playing. They were kind enough to let us share the court and somehow we ended up playing 3 on 3. And I seriously haven't played this much basketball since Home Group consecutively lost all our ARC tournament games 2 years ago hahaha. Good times. It was really fun and I realize how sucky I am when running is required lol. My feet are made of lead. I am resolved to improve my game before graduation. ^^ The students we played with were all across the board...PhD graduates, undergrads, locals, Mainland China...it's just so neat to meet people that are from different places in life and come together to play a game we all get even with language barriers...but obviously their English is pro versus my watered down Chinese heh.

Afterwards, we decided to grab dinner but we ended up getting separated into two groups because we took two taxis and went to different restaurants by accident because it had two different shops in the same area. But it still turned out well and the guys and I got to bond over anime, manga, cultural discussions, Chinese to English, English to Chinese interpretations, traveling, food, everything!


We ended up eating a different restaurant...I was pretty giddy because it served spicy food. ^^ Very hard to come by in HK.
Hehe. 酸辣! I order pig intestine. :3 & 紅豆冰

Mehehe, my new friends! ^^

 Fun fact: They know how to play 廣東炒麵

Excited to play a couple more games with them before I leave...can't believe how fast the days are counting down!

I think this trip has really helped me realize that being abroad isn't about getting out of Hong Kong and trying to visit as many countries as I can but to be immersed in this culture and people. And just to spend the little moments, the day by day interactions with these people. Those are moments worth to cherish when I look back.

No comments:

Post a Comment