Move-in Week: Tour of HKU


This entire week has been blessing after blessing. Getting safely to Hong Kong and meeting awesome people right off the bat. These wonderful individuals ended up being my core group of friends throughout my time in Hong Kong.

Amy was my first flatmate to move in after me. We would agree that we were each other's life saviors because we actually both moved in the same day but different times and happened to miss each other. We both thought the worst: that we would have to sleep alone in the apartment that night. It was quite freaky because it was pretty crummy looking and...I blew out the circuit breaker heh (I blame my dad for giving me the wrong extension cord) so there was no electricity. It was such a funny encounter through because I came back pretty late at night and I saw the windows opened and that the adjacent bedroom door had been unlocked so I thought someone may have broken in...and then I found Amy in bed...and we just hit it off. So she's from Australia...and them people down under have some funny lingo. We created a list of words that we differ on...for example: OUTLET (in America) = POWERPOINT (in Australia). I still make fun of her about that to this day.

Our beautiful view the next morning...
was ruined by this ruckus. -__-x
I will create a vlog on what ensued every morning for the next 2 weeks. We had an alarm clock that had no return receipt.

So this week Amy and I met up with Celeste and her dorm mates from her all-girls dorm across the street decided to run errands at school together. We had to pick up our Student Octopus application forms and finish the remainder of our HKU admissions processes. Celeste and I were now in good hands heh...a few of the girls already knew the area well enough to navigate through the bus systems.

Still getting used to this whole public transit culture. 
It took me forever to remember which bus went where. 
A fellow UCEAP-er! Hi Cherry! (We had so many mutual friends...cray!) 
Walking into campus...the entrance wasn't very conspicuous. 
The gang 
Interesting art...
The architecture on this part of campus was very space station like...
Quite edgy...it's quite contrasted to the traditional Main Building (campus clock tower)
Dazz kool.
This is just a side profile view of the Main Building which has a Edwardian Baroque-style design.
This the hub for international students. 
The lounge. 
My classes were all on the Social Science side which is the new building...I love the glass covering over the walkways. 
Quite a controversial statement art monument on campus | Pillar of Shame.  
Such a clean-cut design. *o* 
I really appreciate that it's not enclosed...you can feel the humidity in all its glory. 
We can see the harbor from here too. 
Green accents contrast nicely against red, orange, and beige.
This is our magnificent study commons area...\(@ ̄∇ ̄@)/ 
HKU is nestled snuggly into the mountainside. 
Embracing the compact high rise culture. 
Natural lighting.  °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°
I love looking up when it rains... 
Main Library and adjacent Starr Hall (which I originally wanted to live in). 
I could look up at HK's sky all day. 
I wish we had this in America... 
A nice area to take a breather. 
It's like I'm in a greenhouse. 
Steps 
Lunchtime! 
Sun-Yat Sen Memorial Garden (my ideal backyard: coy fish pond!)
Sustainability art...that ended up getting destroyed by the rainstorm the following week. 
The school's convenience store. 
Looking for food heh. 
We found food! 
Nomz.. 
Our mode of communication LOL...I guess it's a globalized trend.
We went to IKEA afterwards...read about it in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment